Virginia Potocnik (Megan’s paternal grandmother) and Betty (right) at our wedding in June.
Today I want to write a special tribute to my grandma, Betty Lee Brill (Megan’s maternal grandmother). My grandma passed away last Friday at the age of 85, and today family and friends came together for her funeral. My memories of visits to Grandma’s house always seem to revolve around masses of people crammed into a couple rooms for Christmas or those same masses of people at the park or campgrounds in the summer. Since I have typically always been on the quieter side, sometimes it seemed I got lost in the crowd. But even among her 5 children, 13 grandchildren, 25 great grandchildren, 5 great-great grandchildren, and all the spouses, Grandma was able to find a way to stay connected with everyone…including me.
The pastor who conducted the service today made mention of the little memories that will flash through your head at the passing of a loved one. Eventually, those memories will slow down and you will grasp one of those memories and hold onto it. I have many of those memories and flash backs being tossed around, and I can’t even begin to describe them all to you. However, one thing I can grasp at this moment is how Grandma never missed a beat…she always sent a birthday card with a little letter in it, she made sure everyone had a Christmas present for as long as she could afford to do that for so many people and many times the gift was a handmade one, she traveled for my high school and college graduations, and just 2 months ago, she walked down the aisle as grandmother of the bride in Wade and I’s wedding.
Another memory I can hold is her smile and how she liked to laugh. One of my cousins is notorious for playing jokes on Grandma and getting some of the best laughs out of her. Even in her last days when family members came to visit and share their memories, she was unable to respond much, but she could definitely smile.
As I think about what she must be doing now, I would guess she is laughing as she plays a round of cards with friends of old…she is probably winning because she was really, really good at that…and if anyone is trying to cheat, she is sure to catch them (she’s got an eagle eye for that)….and all of this is happening in heaven. It was only in the last days of her life that Grandma gave her life to the Lord and accepted His forgiveness. It is this one event in her life that makes it possible for me to sit and write this tribute with peace although she is no longer with us on this earth. There is only one way to heaven and she found that door. I am truly grateful to my Lord that He did not give up on her! I will miss her at the family gatherings that will never be the same again, but I rejoice that she is in a better place…for eternity!
The pastor who conducted the service today made mention of the little memories that will flash through your head at the passing of a loved one. Eventually, those memories will slow down and you will grasp one of those memories and hold onto it. I have many of those memories and flash backs being tossed around, and I can’t even begin to describe them all to you. However, one thing I can grasp at this moment is how Grandma never missed a beat…she always sent a birthday card with a little letter in it, she made sure everyone had a Christmas present for as long as she could afford to do that for so many people and many times the gift was a handmade one, she traveled for my high school and college graduations, and just 2 months ago, she walked down the aisle as grandmother of the bride in Wade and I’s wedding.
Another memory I can hold is her smile and how she liked to laugh. One of my cousins is notorious for playing jokes on Grandma and getting some of the best laughs out of her. Even in her last days when family members came to visit and share their memories, she was unable to respond much, but she could definitely smile.
As I think about what she must be doing now, I would guess she is laughing as she plays a round of cards with friends of old…she is probably winning because she was really, really good at that…and if anyone is trying to cheat, she is sure to catch them (she’s got an eagle eye for that)….and all of this is happening in heaven. It was only in the last days of her life that Grandma gave her life to the Lord and accepted His forgiveness. It is this one event in her life that makes it possible for me to sit and write this tribute with peace although she is no longer with us on this earth. There is only one way to heaven and she found that door. I am truly grateful to my Lord that He did not give up on her! I will miss her at the family gatherings that will never be the same again, but I rejoice that she is in a better place…for eternity!
3 comments:
Dear Megan,
I'm very sorry Megan... It is hard to loose person you love.
But God is good to give us people like ur grandma..
It's wonderful that she got to come to your wedding! I know you'll miss her.
Megan,
We send our love to you. It was wonderful getting to meet your grandma at the wedding. She was an incredibly sweet woman.
Hugs,
Hil
Post a Comment