Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Make'n Apple Butter



On Sunday, October 19th, Wade's family made apple butter. This was Megan's first apple butter experience. We started at 7:00 a.m. washing apples, starting the fire, and beginning the nine-and-a-half hour process of converting sliced apples to jarred apple butter.

We used a very large copper kettle, a wooden paddle and a lot of muscle (more muscle from Wade than Megan). Ingredients include eight bushels of apples, 80 pounds of sugar, and a whole lot of cinnamon.

At the end of the day, two kettles of apples were turned into almost 400 pint-size jars of apple butter. For a full day's work, our cut was 25 of those pints. We can't wait to bake some biscuits to taste-test our newly produced apple butter. Until next year, when we might try our own batch, we'll enjoy our Stotts City, Missouri apple butter.

5 comments:

Dani said...

That is SO cool! What a fun family activity, and perfect for the Fall! So does the family divide all of it up amongst themselves, or do they sell some?

Wade and Megan said...

The family divides it up. It was really fun!

Anonymous said...

We saw them making apple butter at the Applefest in Weston! Very cool!

Unknown said...

Wow, how fun! I think you should sell it, because I would definitly buy it--well after I tasted it to see if it was good! I am sure it is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

This looks to me like a skill you could (should) use in the Caucasus!

Paul HH