Posted by Wade
During the past year-and-a-half, I’ve learned a lot about myself. It is interesting how a small-town boy from Missouri can be interested in learning another language, can get to know people he has nothing in common with in a completely different culture, and struggle with people who just can’t drive normally (at least from my point-of-view)!
Before we arrived in Georgia, I had heard about people struggling with this or that. Many people can have a hard time adjusting. Many people just can’t handle it. I can see why; sometimes it is very frustrating. I think if I would have moved to Georgia (or another very different place) before I was 30, I would have had a hard time. God provided me with many trials that really made me think differently. I remember thinking many things were a “big deal” before. Sure, I’m still a little spoiled and like to have it my way sometimes (ask Megan), but I am surprised at how many things are now not a big deal. For example, kids with runny noses and dirty hands kissing me on the cheek isn’t a big deal now. That happens on a weekly basis. That used to gross me out. Now, I’m much less worried about little things. I’ve moved a bit toward the phlegmatic/melancholic temperaments!
I’ve learned that everything will work out. I know that some bad things are going to happen, but with God, everything will be ok. There will be some tough times. God will help us with those. I’m thankful for knowing that. If you don’t, I recommend learning more about it!
In Missouri, we are called the “Show-Me-State”. It is interesting that I learn that way (and try to teach my English students that way). Sometimes I can’t really get my arms around something unless I see it or experience it. In teaching, I try to act out words you can’t really act out. However, we laugh at the effort. The other day, I laid on a table during class to demonstrate hospital words. It was quite entertaining for everyone!
Why doesn’t everyone look when they get ready to drive into the street or out of a parking space? It seems to me this is logical. We are taught to look/yield/drive defensively in Missouri. Here, my biggest frustration is the daily close-calls. I’ve never honked my horn so much (Megan thinks I need to honk it more). We’ve been hit two or three times by other people. I’m amazed by how frustrated I get at these crazy drivers. When people go into the oncoming traffic’s lane just to get to the front of the line, I almost lose it. That to me is just ridiculous. It happens all the time here. Rarely, someone gets pulled over…another frustration.
So, I’ve learned a few good things about myself and a few things I need to work on. I’m thankful for the lessons I’ve learned that prepare me for what is in store in the future. I’m thankful for the continued refining. God, please help me with these Georgian drivers.
No comments:
Post a Comment