Sunday, December 11, 2011

25 Days of Christmas Joy ~ Day 11

No matter how you look at it, giving is often more of a blessing for yourself than actually receiving something. But why is the act of giving such a blessing? Much of it can be tied to the joy you see in the receiver. I guess that means there is great blessing in the receiving end too. They work together. But we don’t always get to see what happens on the receiving end. Giving adds the component of sacrificing so that someone else can receive. That sacrifice can bring joy when we realize all that has been sacrificed for us, and we have the opportunity to pay it forward to others. A true blessing on the receiving end is the realization that someone sacrificed so that you could receive…someone gave up something for you to have something. Again…they work together.

For the past few years, the Salvation Army in Georgia has been running the Angel Tree program at Christmas. They gather lists of children who would not otherwise receive a gift at Christmas. Then they find people to buy the gift each kid has requested. The people give the gift to the Salvation Army workers who then throw a Christmas party for the groups of kids and give them each their gift.

Last year one of the kids we had been given wanted a toy gun, and we bought it for him. When Wade and I went along for one of the parties, this boy happened to be at the party we attended. I’ve never seen a kid with such excitement over a gift! I was blessed to know that he was thrilled about his new toy! And even though it was just a toy that is possibly broken, lost, or forgotten by now, that toy told him, “Someone thought of me. Someone gave me what I really wanted most. Someone cared.” I pray those thoughts go with him long after the toy is just a faint memory. Soon, he may be receiving a new toy for Christmas, and again be reminded that, “Someone cares.” Hopefully, as he grows, he will learn that the one who cares the most for him, every day of the year, is Jesus.

Here’s our little friend proudly holding his new toy:


No comments: