Thursday, December 8, 2011

25 Days of Christmas Joy ~ Day 8

Today’s post just took a whole new direction. Yesterday, two friends shared a link to Ann Voskamp’s blog via Facebook. I just came across the links and was instantly moved. This blog post puts into words and action the thoughts that I have often had for many years. 

Beautiful comes to my mind. It captures the gift of giving in a beautiful way.

I love that Ann’s 5-year old son was disturbed by the question, “What does Jesus get for His birthday?”

He needed an answer.

“But Mom…. if we get wrapped presents for our birthdays, real sacrifices from people who love us — they gave up other things to give something to us — then why don’t we do that for Jesus’ birthday?”

His question changed Christmas for this family.

For me, this act of giving would need to include local needs as well. It really has great impact when one sees and touches the needs next door or across town. And time…oh, how time is such a huge sacrifice! Is there a local church or mission serving a Christmas meal? I am sure they need help. Adopt-a-family for Christmas…great idea! Go all out for them. Show them love. Is your neighbor all alone? Invite them over for Christmas dinner.

I have no doubt that some may look at the local poor and recognize that they put themselves in that situation and choose to stay there. I know I can say that about many in America. There is laziness. There are addictions. There is money wasted on cigarettes and alcohol, leaving no money for a joyous Christmas. I don’t feel so motivated to help someone like this. But maybe all they need is some love to light a fire under them towards change. It’s food for thought.

It’s a challenge…huge challenge. I don’t know if I can do it to my full potential. It may continue to take years of learning and stretching myself to give more. We should challenge the culture to make it better…even if it’s our own culture rather than a “foreign” culture.

Proverbs 21:13
“Whoever shuts their ears to the cry of the poor
will also cry out and not be answered.”

I don’t want to ignore the cries for help. Do you? What can you do to help? Try one thing this year. Add another thing next year. See how it grows. The possibilities are endless.

No comments: